Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Blueberry Basil Gin Schpritz




Buster Poindexter wants to know, “Are you feelin’ hot hot hot?!”  Well, are you?  If you’re not, my friend, you are in the minority this summer. 

Driving home from work last night, weaving my way through creeping traffic amidst the ripples of heat rising from the pavement, I kept thinking, “What could possibly help relieve this suffocatingly steamy and sultry workday?”  Only one answer kept echoing through my parched brain….GIN!  Classic. 

So upon trudging up the stairs and slipping off my shoes, I rifled through the bar until I found that beautiful blue bottle of Bluecoat gin.  Ahhhhh.  Then to the fridge to ferret out the limes…double ahhhhhh.  The produce drawer held some gorgeous in-season blueberries and a squeeze bottle of basil simple syrup beckoned from the shelf.  I had the makings of one astonishingly refreshing summer cocktail!  In a flash it was mixed, shaken, strained and poured into my waiting glass.    
 
I'd like to say I settled back into the azure blue Adirondack chair by the gurgling pond while I sipped my cooling cocktail slowly.  Nah....too damned hot for that.  I took the pic then hied it immediately up to the  living room to put my feet up and chill in cool, air conditioned comfort. I ain't no fool!  

Mix one up yourself tonight.  Your very own parched brain will thank you for it's very own ahhhhhh moment. 

Blueberry Basil Gin Schpritz

Serves 1

  • 2 ounces gin - whatever YOUR favorite is!
  • 3 ounces basil simple syrup (see my Grilled Peach Vodka Basil Cocktail for this recipe)
  • 1/2 lime , juiced
  • 12 blueberries
  • ice
  • club soda or tonic

In the glass of a cocktail shaker, muddle lime juice and blueberries; add simple syrup and gin.  Add ice 3/4 of the way up the tin of the shaker and pour the liquid over.  Cap tightly and shake until the tin is frosted over.  Strain into a collins glass, add ice and add just a touch of soda.  Garnish with a slice of lime and a few blueberries. 

Print this post

No comments: