Saturday, September 1, 2012

Avocado Firebolt






Sometimes a cocktail recipe seems to roll around in the back of my mind for quite a while before it somehow emerges fully formed. That’s how it happened with this gorgeous pale green little number. 

The idea started months ago in a cocktail class when the instructor dropped the bomb that avocado can give a cocktail the same smooth, velvety mouthfeel that egg gives to a drink.  Now that sounded intriguing. And avocado sounded better than a raw egg! 

Although I was tempted to give a savory cocktail a shot (think cilantro, tomato water, bacon…hmmmm…that might be up next), I knew I wanted to go the sweet route this time.  Avocado is like the chameleon of the produce aisle - it takes on whatever flavor direction you decide to go in. 
  
So what liquor would I use?  My first thought was tequila – again, the first instinct was savory, but I wanted something that would allow the avocado to delicately come through.  Vodka it would be!  How about that 360 Double Chocolate Vodka that I love so well?  Yep, that was the one.  The 360 is the only flavored vodka I use these days….I much prefer to infuse my own spirits!

And so the Firebolt was born.  Lime, avocado, jalapeno, green cardamom…all beautiful green colors and flavors blended into a drink that hits a myriad of notes.  Sweet and heat, smooth and tart, chocolate and spice make for one beautiful, positively delicious cocktail!    

Avocado Firebolt


  • 1/8 avocado, nice and ripe
  • 1-3 slices jalapeno chile pepper, more or less, depending on how hot you like it! (you know I used 3...maybe more)
  • 1/2 lime, juiced
  • 1 1/2 ounces vodka, 360 Double Chocolate Vodka!
  • 1 ounce simple syrup, green cardamom kind*
  • club soda, a splash


In a cocktail shaker, muddle the avocado and jalapeno very well.  Add lime juice, vodka & simple syrup.  Add ice 3/4 of the way up, cap tightly and shake until the tin is frosted and very cold.
 
Using a cocktail strainer, strain the liquid from the tin into the glass of the shaker.  Using a small mesh strainer, strain the liquid again into an ice-filled glass and top with a splash or two of soda.  Garnish and serve!

*Green cardamom simple syrup:  (I buy green cardamom pods at Penzey's in the Strip District.)  In a small pot, combine 1 cup water and 1 cup sugar.  Bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.  Stir in 1/4 cup green cardamom pods, remove from the heat and let sit until cool.  Strain into a container with a lid.  Add a teaspoon of vodka to help keep the syrup longer.  Store in the fridge. 

P.S. The photo isn't very good so I'll take another tonight when I enjoy another Firebolt.  Sigh...the sacrifices.  :)
   

Print this post

No comments: