I promised you a couple of new twists on old favorites for Lent. This one is quick, easy and low-cal to boot!
Honestly, it took less than ten minutes to put together in ONE pan. Okay, I may have cheated just a teensy bit with frozen brown rice from Trader Joe's. Come on...that's being smart and efficient, not cheating!
With no further intro, here's a dish that's sure to become one of your own go-to dinners. Short on time but don't want to skimp on flavor or nutrition? This is it. (I called it a quickie because it's fast, but seriously....who doesn't love a good quickie now and then?)
One Skillet Garlic Spinach and Shrimp Quickie
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups fresh spinach, use baby spinach and you don't even have to chop it!
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- pinch oregano, or even TWO pinches...live large!
- pinch red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 12 shrimp, raw, peeled - tails on if you wish
- 1/2 lemon, squeezed over the finished dish
- brown rice, prepared - check the freezer aisle at Trader Joe's for their cooked brown rice - super simple in a flash!
In a large skillet, heat the oil, add the garlic and spinach together. Stir until the garlic begins to soften. Add the tomato halves and the seasonings. Stir. Add shrimp and cook until the shrimp are pink and opaque.
Pile rice onto 2 plates and divide the shrimp and spinach mixture over top. Give each plate a healthy squeeze of lemon. Serve!
NOTE: You do know this is naturally gluten-free, don't you? Now THAT'S good news!
Print this post