Now that grilling season is here, an arsenal of side salad recipes is something we all need. Once we've had potato salad a dozen different ways or pasta salad until we never want to see another dried noodle as long as we live, what's left? Well, there's this little number for starters.
Like a little black dress, this is one is suitable for all events. Dress it up fancy or or dress it down casual - the finest filet or the most basic burger - Black Rice Blueberry & Jalapeno Salad is just right for any occasion. This lovely little basic black salad might have just a little more elegance than potato salad. Maybe it has just a little more pizzazz.
With blueberries in season and a BIG bag of black rice in my pantry (thank you Costco!), it only seemed natural to devise a way to use them together. Sweet blueberries balanced against tart fresh lime and vinegar and a contrast of chewy, toothsome rice and crisp green onions and red slivers of jalapenos gave nice textural interest as well as some pretty amazing flavor.
The simple, basic black salad is always in good taste...and it tastes good!
Black Rice Blueberry & Jalapeno Salad
- 2 cups cold, cooked black rice - don't substitute white rice (cold, cooked brown rice would work just fine - just wouldn't be nearly as dramatic!)
- 6 green onions, root end removed and sliced thinly well into the green
- 1 red jalapeno - or green if you can't find a red one, stem and seeds removed, sliced very thinly
- 1 cup blueberries, washed and dried
- 1 t. Kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- the juice of 1 lime
- 2 T. balsamic vinegar
- 3 T. olive oil
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix gently, but well. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Print this post