It's been a while since I've done a quickie - fast to make with a few ingredients - a few words to tell about it. It's time!
Apple Caraway Sauerkraut Slaw is perfectly designed for Autumn. As fall is a segue between warm and cold weather, this slaw combines a fresh and crunchy summer cabbage slaw with sweet apples and tart cool weather sauerkraut. The essence of autumn in a slaw, for sure.
Instead of a creamy dressing, a vinegar, sugar and honey dressing accents the mix. There's not much vinegar needed in the dressing compared to the amount of sugar and honey - sauerkraut helps to balance what might initially seem like too much sweetness.
Can't you just imagine this tart/sweet treat on top of a beautifully browned brat or hot dog OR as a spiffy side dish?! Yeah, me too. With no further adieu....enjoy!
Apple Caraway Sauerkraut Slaw
- 4 cups store-bought coleslaw mix
- 1/2 green pepper, slivered into 3/4" pieces
- 3/4 cup store-bought sauerkraut
- 1 small tart apple, skin on, cut into slivers
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup honey - you know I like my organic orange blossom honey!
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
Combine all the dressing ingredients. Set aside.
Combine all the slaw ingredients. Pour dressing over slaw. Mix very well. Serve.
Told you it was a quickie!
Print this post