Spinach, radishes, asparagus and peas are the first brave soldiers of the springtime garden to poke their bold noses above ground. Like the very first robins of the season, these early birds might just be veggie garden harbingers of spring.
Despite Mother Nature's indecisiveness...20's and snow one day, 80's and sun another...the vernal equinox has finally been crossed, days have grown longer, and warmer temperatures seem as if they're (finally) here to stay. Time for a celebration of salad!
A riot of green pea shoots, shaved raw asparagus and spinach mixed with raucous red radishes and strawberries - all things spring - were heaped high onto a great big platter and drizzled with an equally springy chive, lemon, buttermilk and poppyseed dressing.
This fresh, light and very seasonal salad was just what was needed alongside great big burgers from the grill on a warm weeknight evening. Welcome spring! Finally.
Spring Spinach, Strawberry, Pea Shoot Salad
With Chived Lemony Buttermilk Dressing
- 2 C baby spinach, washed and dried
- 3/4 C pea shoots, bottoms torn off - got them at Whole Foods
- 2 giant radishes, cut in half lengthwise and sliced across thinly
- 5 large asparagus spears, raw - cut into ribbons lengthwise with a vegetable peeler
- 2 green onions, sliced across well into the green
- 3/4 - 1 C strawberries, washed and sliced lengthwise
- 1/3 C buttermilk
- 1/4 C fresh lemon juice
- 3 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1 T sugar
- 1 clove garlic, pressed or minced finely
- 1 t poppy seeds
- 1 1/2 T fresh chives, sliced across thinly
- 1/2 t kosher salt
- a hefty grind of black peppercorns
Toss all salad ingredients in a large bowl.Combine the dressing ingredients in a Mason jar, screw on the lid and shake until well-combined.
Drizzle salad with dressing and enjoy!