Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Skittles Infused Vodka


Color your cocktails...Skittles Vodka!






Well, once again I went off the radar for a bit.  With work and the holidays, it has been a circus! One thing I did manage to do while I was missing in action was to FINALLY make Skittles Vodka!
 
Years ago my mom sent me an article about how to make Skittles Vodka.  For years I have said I would make it…and didn’t. A friend and I were discussing the Skittles vodka idea a few months ago - I was planning at that time to try and make Jolly Rancher Vodka instead. She said, "Nope, you  should make the Skittles Vodka! And so the plan was (again) born.
 
Time went by and Christmas was upon us. Pondering what to get Samantha (the aforementioned cohort), the light dawned. I decided to finally make this fun infusion for her Christmas gift! Upon opening the (heavy) package, she looked at me and asked, "Is this what I think it is? Skittles Vodka?!" Haha, yep it was! 
 
The colors are bright and true...kind of like the primary colors in a box of crayons. I'm imagining Sam and her boyfriend happily experimenting with the colors of the rainbow....deliciously.
 


 Skittles Infused Vodka

Ingredients:  
  • 1 Pound bag of skittles
  • 1 Large bottle of vodka

Tools:
  • 5 empty water bottles
  • Lots of paper towels or coffee filters
  • Funnel
  • 5 glass jars or glass bottles with lids (I used mason jars)

Step one:
Separate the skittles according to flavor, you will need 70 of each flavor of Skittles. (Or you could go to one of those candy stores in the mall and buy enough of each color you want to make - no separating!)

Step two:
Place the separated Skittles into the empty water bottles. The lemon in one bottle, lime in another bottle…and so on.You get how this works.

Step Three:
Pour 8 oz of vodka into each of the water bottles over the skittles. It is best to use a funnel so that you don’t spill any vodka (yes, this advice comes from experience haha). Screw the caps on the bottles.

Step Four:
Shake the bottles some…you will see the vodka start to get some of the color from the candy now. Let these bottles sit for a few hours until the candy is totally melted. (I let the bottles sit over night…and I shook them a bit any time I walked by them to help with the process. Does that count as exercise with shake weights?)

Step Five:
You will notice that the vodka may have a bit of a white film on top…it is the wax coating on the candy - we'll strain it off later so don't sweat it.

Step Six:
Take 2 paper towels or coffee filters and place them over a bowl or the mason jars that you will store your vodka in. Now pour the vodka through the paper towels/coffee filters (strain each flavor separately into separate jars using new filters/paper towels for each color...duh). This gets rid of the white film!

Step Seven:
If you didn’t strain the infused vodka into the storage jars, pour each flavor into those jars now. Place the lids on the jars and refrigerate.

Step Eight:
ENJOY! This vodka is great just cold from the fridge (Skittles shots anyone?) or mix and experiment with some fun drinks. All of the flavors are great with Sprite! Print this post

No comments: