Sunday, February 12, 2012

Pig Roast Pork Chops



Before




Are you starting to Jones for some serious smoker time?  I sure am!  But.  All that snow flying in the wind out there simply isn't conducive to such activity this time of year.  Sigh.  Sure as hell,  longingly gazing through the window at the pond...right next to the smoker...right next to the grill...isn't helping, it's only making me feel worse.  And my poor fishies and froggies!  I miss them!!!!  What to do, what to do?  I'll make those pork chops inside instead!  And maybe it will help get through the next couple of months.

This dish came about early last summer.  A friend and I were perusing the pig roast websites looking for ideas for her daughter's first birthday party. 
Many years ago, the hubby and I had done a pig roast at our place.  Boy has that business changed since then!  I couldn't get over the fact that some of the places were stuffing the pigs with chickens and sausage and apples and onions and just loads of incredibly delicious sounding smoke-able foods!  And I wanted it!  And the lightbulb went off.
 
Instead of doing a whole pig for a few people...duh, no...why not just stuff pork chops with those same items and do them on the smoker?  So I did.  And it was marvelous.  And I want them now.  Okay, just in the oven instead because it's COLD out there!  Too cold to smoke.


So just what are these pork chops? Double-thick, bone-in loin pork chops with a nice big pocket cut for stuffing.  Oh, don't bother having them do it at the store.  I have never gotten home and NOT had to make the slit bigger so why not just do it right yourself the first time.  In the pocket, I layer a little thinly sliced onion, a little thinly sliced apple, a little slivered fresh sage, a little sage sausage to top it all off.  Then close the slit with toothpicks, dust both sides of the chops with a good Cajun grill seasoning and put them on to smoke.  Or.  Put them in the oven to roast!  


 

After: Crispy fried sage leaves, too.  Fancy.



Pig Roast Pork Chops


  • 1 3/4 pounds pork chops, that's 2, double thick, bone-in loin chops
  • 1 apple, nice tart one like a Granny Smith, peeled and thinly sliced
  • 1 red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
  • 2 sage leaves, fresh, slivered
  • 1/4 pound sausage, sage type
  • Cajun seasoning, or seasoning of your choice


Cut a pocket into each pork chop, make it nice and big being careful not to go all the way through. 
 

Inside each chop, layer onion, apple, sage, and sausage, spreading each layer to completely cover the inside of the chop.  Close slit with toothpicks if you wish, I don't always do that.  And it works just fine.
 

Rub both sides of each chop with the Cajun seasoning and then spray lightly with a little olive oil.  Then let the chops come to room temp before smoking over applewood.
 

If you do these in the oven, preheat the oven to 375 degrees and bake for approximately an hour.until the apples and onions are tender, the sausage is cooked through and the chops are beautifully browned.  No, I do NOT like my pork pink, no matter what those kooky, trendy chefs are doing today.  Call me old fashioned.  I'm okay with that.

NOTE:  Next time I think I'm stuffing these with hot sausage, roasted red pepper, fresh basil leaves, onion, a little fontina...not sure what else yet...still thinking about this one....oooo...roasted garlic, too!  

Print this post

No comments: