Mmmmm...mmmmmm...shrimp tacos! Oven-fried spicy shrimp piled high onto corn tortillas with an easy cilantro slaw and a drizzle of creamy, lime-kissed cilantro crema. Add a side of guac and I'm a happy camper.
You still have time to get to the store to pick up everything you need to make these for Friday or even for Meatless Monday. Get going...I'm keeping this short so you have time to get to the store!
Cracked Black Pepper & Lime Shrimp Tacos
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 t. dijon mustard
- 1 pound shrimp, remove tails & shells
- 1 c. fresh fine bread crumbs, gluten-free to make these GF
- zest of 1 lime
- 1 t. freshly ground black pepper, coarsely ground
- canola oil plus extra to mist over shrimp (can use Pam)
- 2 c. packaged coleslaw mix
- 2 green onions, sliced thinly well into the green
- 3 T. cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1 c. plain Greek yogurt (I like Fage 0%)
- juice of 1 lime (use the zest for the breading above and the juice for the crema)
- 2 t. minced garlic
- 1 t. cumin
- 2 T. fresh cilantro, minced finely
- 2 t. GREEN Tabasco
- salt to taste
- soft corn tortillas
Slaw: Toss the coleslaw mix, green onions and cilantro together well. Set aside or refrigerate until ready to assemble tacos.
Crema: Mix all the crema ingredients together and refrigerate until ready to assemble tacos.
Shrimp: Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Prepare a baking sheet (with a raised edge all around) by coating lightly with canola oil. Set aside.
Toss breadcrumbs, lime zest and cracked black pepper together in a plastic bag. Set aside.
In medium bowl, beat egg white until very frothy, but not meringue-y. Gently beat in mustard. Add shrimp to egg white mixture and coat completely.
Remove shrimp from egg white mixture, let excess liquid drip off and add shrimp to the plastic bag, one at a time, with the breadcrumbs. Shake gently to coat, remove and place on prepared baking sheet. Mist breaded shrimp with oil and immediately place in preheated oven.
Bake for 10 minutes until just cooked through. Remove from oven.
Assembly: Put 3 shrimp on each tortilla, add a little slaw, a little crema, squeeze a little lime over and it's shrimp night!