To my Maryland friends....if you hurry, you can get these made by halftime!
Crab, Jalapeno and Corn Hushpuppies
- 2 6-oz. Jiffy or Washington cornbread mixes (I use a box of Gluten-Free Pantry brand cornbread mix to make this GF)
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sour cream (or Fage 0% fat Greek yogurt)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 t. dried thyme
- 1 t. granulated garlic
- 1/2 t. cayenne pepper
- 2 t. Old Bay Seafood seasoning
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 lb. fresh crabmeat -- claw meat is fine, picked through for shell and cartilage
- 1/3 c. green onions, sliced well into the green
- 2 jalapenos, finely minced
- 3/4 c. corn kernels, fresh, frozen or canned
- canola oil -- enough to come half-way up the sides of a cast iron skillet
Heat the oil to 350 degrees in a cast iron skillet (or use your favorite deep fryer).
Lightly mix the cornbread mix, buttermilk, sour cream, egg and spices and then very gently mix in the rest of the ingredients. Do not over mix to keep these as light as possible.
When the oil is to temp, using a tablespoon, take a rounded mound of batter and gently drop the batter into the oil as close to the surface as possible. (The closer to the oil you are, the lower the risk of being on the receiving end of a hot oil splash. But also be sure not to get so close that you deep-fry a finger or thumb!)
Don't put too many in the pan at once, be sure there's enough room for the oil to circulate. Let fry until the first side is done to keep the batter from falling apart, turn over carefully with a fork or other utensil and continue to fry until both sides are golden brown.
Remove hushpuppies with a slotted spoon or spider and place on a paper towel lined baking sheet. Keep them warm in a 300 degree oven until all the hushpuppies are done.
Serve as is (my favorite) or with an aioli made with mayo and lemon juice and Old Bay to taste.
NOTE: I spread these out on a baking sheet, put them in the freezer and in a couple of hours transfer them to a ziplock bag. Store them in the freezer until you have a craving....heat the oven to 350 degrees and bake until hot all the way through and crispy.