Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Snowstorm Made Me Do It.



Okay.  It's confession time.  That "healthy" eating bit the dust yesterday.  I blame it on the 6 3/8" of snow that fell....I went into survival mode!  My normal breakfast of 0% Fage Greek yogurt with fresh berries couldn't be accomplished.  No berries.  Cereal?  No milk.  (By the way, what self-respecting Pittsburgher neglects to hit the store in a panic for milk, bread and toilet paper when snow is predicted?!  Shame on me.)  Should I fall back just a little and have a slice of crisp bacon and a scrambled egg white in a skillet barely kissed with a little butter-flavored Pam.  No bacon.  Eek!!!! 

I was forced to scour the fridge for something, ANYTHING, to break my fast from the previous night.  Hmmm....leftover smashed redskin potatoes.  Check.  A couple of green onions.  Check.  Protein, need protein...an egg.  Check.  Oooo...a jalapeno!  CHECK!  The very last thick slice of smoked gouda...nice check.  And so, the Smoky Jalapeno Potato Cake was born.  And it was awesome.  It is now in my arsenal of what-to-make-with-leftovers file to enjoy again!

Smoky Jalapeno Potato Cakes
  
  • 1 C. leftover mashed potatoes, warmed
  • 1 large jalapeno, minced (2 small or medium)
  • 2 small green onions, sliced (1 large)
  • 1/3 C. smoked gouda, finely diced
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 t. granulated garlic
  • gluten-free breadcrumbs (or normal breadcrumbs if you're not doing gluten-free)
  
Mix all ingredients but the breadcrumbs together well.  Form into patties; coat well with crumbs on both sides.  Fry in a little oil in a hot skillet until golden on both sides and the cheese begins to ooze.  
Serve as a breakfast side dish alongside eggs or even for dinner!
NOTE:  I don't waste money on gluten-free breadcrumbs, I just save all the ends of the loaves in the freezer until I have a good bit.  Then I just give them a whirl in the food processor and store them in a freezer bag until I need some.   



Print this post

No comments: