Sunday, November 20, 2011

Almond-Encrusted Amaretto Cake

Almond-Encrusted Amaretto Cake


It’s Tara’s birthday tomorrow!  So, I baked a cake to surprise her with at work.  Actually, a couple of weeks ago, Lisa was telling Tara how much she loves my Almond-Encrusted Amaretto Cake. “What?” Tara said.  “I’ve never had that!”  (I think she may even have growled just a tiny bit.)  And so I promised her I’d make her one for her birthday.  Your birthday wish is my command.


Almond-Encrusted Amaretto Cake
  • 1 package yellow cake mix
  • 1 package vanilla pudding (instant)
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup amaretto
  • 3/4  c. sliced almonds

Glaze:
  • 1 stick butter
  • 1/4 cup amaretto
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 cup sugar

For cake:

Blend ingredients (except nuts) and beat on high for 2 minutes.  Grease (liberally so the nuts stick!) bundt or tube pan and sprinkle with nuts, making sure all surfaces of the pan are covered with almonds.  Pour in batter and bake at 325 for 50-60 minutes.



This is what the pan looks like before pouring in the cake batter.





For glaze:

Melt butter in small pan; add 1/4 c. amaretto, water and suar.  Bring to boil and stir for 2-3 minutes.

Cool cake for 10 minutes.  Remove from pan and place on a cake rack ove a deep dish and spoon the hot glaze over.  Keep re-using glaze that has run off into dish and glazing cake until all the syrup is gone.

NOTE:  Here's a little hint to grease and coat the bundt pan with almonds.  First, put your hand into a plastic sandwich bag to grease the pan with Crisco.  No mess on your hands!  To coat the pan with almonds,  rotate the pan while sprinkling with the almonds.  Get the inside tube, too, and pat some into place where they may be a little skimpy.

ANOTHER NOTE:  This recipe came from Cate Olsen who owned the most wonderful pottery shop in Ellicott City, MD back in the 70's.  Cate was a fabulous cook who served goodies in her store regularly...and handed out beautifully handwritten (and copied) recipes, too.  I treasure my old copies.  I treasure my beautiful pottery pieces, too!


Print this post

No comments: